Friday, August 24, 2012

Amsterdam - Day 2!

(What is thepowerof365?)

24rd August 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Day 2 and still loving the canals. What I really love about Europe? Depending on the season, we have everyone on bicycles/foot, dry and cool air, flowers in full bloom, do whatever you want and nobody thinks you are 'weird' or 'strange'. The hidden corners and alleys are usually quiet with an added sense of mystery. The unevenness in width and design of the buildings exude a different emotion of the city. That's probably the closest I can get to being IN a pop-up book.



Holy. Bread for breakfast. My cheesestick was blah but the other apple-filled pastries were so good.

Amsterdam Central Station


Kit Kat DUO ??! DUO!?!?!?! DUO!!?!!??!!! Oh, I love you kit kat.









The buildings are definitely a trait of Amsterdam.
Niek Engelschmanbrug



Europe's pretty big on 'going green' and 'saving the earth'. Electric cars are considered a norm, unlike in Singapore where we're still trying to advocate going green. Charging the electric car!
Coffee Shop in Amsterdam which only means.....



FEBO, Dutch fast food chain which I never got to try. The concept ("get out of the wall") is really cute though! I stood there amazed by what those rows of metal drawers were. Somewhat similar to a vending machine - slot a coin, choose your burger/snack, Go!





Almost the best and favourite "Asian" food that we squeal at everytime we see it. I love Wok to Walk. Stir fried rice/noodles with our selected sauce(s) and ingredients. Know how there will always be a fragrance and taste because "the fire is big enough"/够火候 ? Wok to Walk does it well! Also a chain store. The price's reasonable given that this is in Europe. The portion's huge so we could always share but we never did. No one can say "no, let's eat less of this" to Asian food.










At Museumplein for the iconic I amsterdam. There were so so so many people, impossible to get a nice shot. Sigh, may I propose for there to be a queue. 
Off to Van Gogh Museum where we could take no photos. I remembered how Shaun was saying that we had a higher probability of being famous after we die than when we're alive. He even cited many examples hahahah 
Saw the must-sees: Starry night and the Sunflower. Together with Sue and Shaun, I enjoyed being in the museum (and his paintings). Shannon, Ee Lin and Tracy were extremely bored midway and started tapping on free wifi while we were busy filling our "fake arty hungry souls".
I think we wanted to visit Albert Cuyp Market but it was closed :( 
Ended up going to Bloemenmarkt (the world's only floating flower market) Flowers and plants galore. 
Hallo, land of tulips! Pity it wasn't of the right season..










Rainy season and always in flip flops. Best way to avoid soggy feet.


And we're another 121 days away from Christmas. I should start doing a countdown like this too hahahah
Our smoothie from the supermarket. It was so so so so so so damn bloody rich and wasn't even too expensive! I love Europe I love Europe and how they eat. 3.5 apples, 2 oranges, 40 blueberries, 30 strawberries, 0.5 bananas.


I miss the grey, red, brown, stone, bricks and rail lines everywhere.



Another cool shopping concept.

Dinner time! Where we also had the worst pasta that we've ever tasted in our entire lives. Wasn't even that cheap to begin with. For the first time ever, my plate of pasta was unfinished! >:(


The pizzas were A LOT better.
eiw #1
eiw #2
eiw #3
eiw #4



fries fries FRIES!!!!! We never knew fries could taste THIS good. Sue says that they're being fried in pork fat. or beef fat. or some fats I can't remember. Fats are tasty.
Our supper was an expensive cake that was supposedly meant to...... yes. 
But it was just an ordinary cake. Finished the cake and had HTHT the entire night. Cool air sipping through the window slits, the hustle and bustle in the red light district, sipping on bacardi, talking about life as if we've known each other for ages. 
I love meeting new people and listening to their stories. There is never one that is the same. Life is more than just about one person and one person's story.





I love moving around with a backpack on my back. I miss those days. Makes me feel like a traveller more than a tourist. In photos, why does it also seem like we never changed out of our clothes hahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment